Our world is filled with many wonderful plants. From flowers to trees, we enjoy many beautiful forms of life that provide our planet with oxygen, shade, food, materials to build things, and so much more. Although that just sounded like the biggest tree-hugging sermon you’ve ever heard, it really is true that the plants in our world are amazing.
Here are a few interesting facts about some of the plants that grow on earth.
- Did you know that if you were to cut a notch out in a tree, that notch will stay the exact same distance from the ground, no matter how tall the tree grows?
- It’s been said that peanuts are considered to be beans. I’m not sure about this one, but it’s been said.
- There are some really beautiful flowers, but the biggest flower is called the corpse flower. These things can grow up to three feet in diameter! The largest one ever recorded was about three and a half feet in diameter.
- Did you know that plums, cherries, apricots, apples, pears, peaches, and even almonds are all a part of the rose family of plants? I would have never guessed that! Similarly, the lily family of plants encompasses onions and garlic.
- Over 400 cans of soda pop can be sweetened with a single bushel of corn.
- A single acre of trees is able to get rid of about 13 tons of gases and dust within the area around it.
- Banana oil does not come from bananas. It comes from petroleum. While we’re talking about bananas, it’s a known fact that of all fruits, Americans eat bananas the most.
- There are some vegetables that contain high amounts of carotenoid lycopene, which helps to reduce the risk of cancer. These vegetables are tomatoes, spinach, carrots, collard greens, and sweet potatoes.
- Out of all the broccoli sold in the US, nearly all of it comes from California.
- The average person eats more than 19 pounds of apples each year. However, the average person eats about 33 pounds per year of……… bananas!
- Some roots have hairs on them to help gather the water and minerals around it.
- An Orchid seed is so small that if you were to compare an orchid seed to a single grain of wheat, it would take thousands of Orchid seeds to match the weight of the grain of wheat. That’s how small those things are!
- You may have already seen this one on Myth Busters, but bamboo can grow up to three feet in only 24 hours.
- Do you know how to tell if an oak tree is older than fifty years? Check for acorns. They can only grow them after they have been around for that long.
- It is believed that some trees in California have been around for thousands of years, because the conditions there are so good.
- There are no beans about the Mexican Jumping Bean. It’s actually just a protective capsule for the larva of a small moth.